Wednesday, May 23, 2012

when things don't go as planned...

Our family has been dealt a difficult hand the past month. Two weeks after Maliyah was born we found out that Leith as to deploy to Afghanistan this summer for three months. Seeing that I had just had the baby and was on a hormone rollercoaster you can imagine that my reaction was not ideal. But really...what wife would react well to hearing that her husband is leaving for three months?! As we have been processing this information and mentally preparing ourselves for this difficult time we can't help but think "this is not what we had planned!", "God, why are you allowing this?", "We can't handle this!". All those thoughts still enter my mind daily. But although this has been challenging it was also grown us in our marriage and in our individual walks with Christ. We are learning to rely on God's strength more than we ever have and to live by faith daily. We ask that you all keep us in your prayers. Pray for Leith's safety and for myself and the kids as we wait at home for him to return to us. Pray that Leith will be used in a mighty way and that even without words he can be a witness to whomever he places his hands on. Today I read something from a devotional book that has touched my heart and given me hope to get through each day...

"When things don't go as you would like, accept the situation immediately. If you indulge in feelings of regret, they can easily spill over the line into resentment. Remember that I am sovereign over your circumstances, and humble yourself under My mighy hand. Rejoice in what I am doing in your life, even though it is beyond your understanding. I am the way, the Truth, and the Life. In Me you have everything you need, both for this life and for the life yet to come. Don't let the impact of the world shatter your thinking or draw you away from focusing on Me. The ultimate challenge is to keep fixing your eyes on Me, no matter what is going on around you. When I am central in your thinking, you are able to view curcumstances from My perspective."

2 comments:

  1. I want to tell you that you CAN do this because of what you just typed, that your strength comes from God and not ourselves. It's a hard choice sometimes to fix our eyes on God no matter what our circumstanes are around us because it's not the easy thing to do, but it will guide you home. I remember finding out that Frank was going to be gone about half of Haley's first year of life (when she was about 2 weeks old too), and was not very happy about it either. I longed for the normal kind of life that most kinds of American families lived. But that wasn't God's plan at the time. There were lonely times and tough moments, but God led us through it and we survived. I will be praying for you. Let me know what else I can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you Pati. Hopefully time will go by quickly in those 3 months. I'm having Christian's bday party at Laura's house this year maybe you can join us...it would be so fun.

    ReplyDelete